A blog about cycling...especially the long distance stuff

Monday 21 January 2013

LeJog trip Data

Finally got round to doing my trip data for the Lands End - John O Groats tour from June last year . I thought this may be useful for others doing this route

My route was not the fastest and I made a horrendous navigational error on day 8 which added about 50km. I loved this route, Arran well worth a visit and the west of Scotland very pretty. I strongly suggest the "Day 10" route over the central highlands on an amazing sealed D-road.

Journal Link  - Distance - Bikely Route Map

Links have more details:

Day 1:      179.91 km    Lands End - Okehampton
Day 2:      141.88 km    Okehampton - Shipton
Day 3:      166.33 km    Shipton - Ludlow
Day 4:      161.96 km    Ludlow - Wigan
Day 5:      198.63 km   Wigan - Gretna
Day 6:      161.24 km   Gretna - Irvine
Day 7:      171.86 km   Irvine-Arran-Oban
Day 8:      201.17 km   Oban - Drumnadrochit
Day 9:        95.67 km   Drumnadrochit - Lairg
Day 10:     163.3  km   Lairg - John O Groats

Total: 1641.95 km
Average day: 164 km


Trip summary in brief:


  • Rode solo and unsupported
  • I was riding for 2 charities and raised £1,488.50 for the Mental Health charity Rethink and £700.00 for The Dom Pardy Trust
  • I rode on a Specialized Cycle Cross with 2 rear panniers and a bar bag (above) I was travelling light for speed in order to meet a 10 day deadline I'd set myself for the charities. I stayed in B&B's mostly, not camping to save weight. 
  • Apart from the multitude of other blogs on Lejog, the other 2 websites that proved to be a goldmine was http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/forecast for detailed wind forecasts, and the CTCForums
  • Weather: so much debate on heading in the direction Lejog vs Jogle (south to north, or north to south). If you can afford to leave your choice to the last minute, watch the wind forecast website above and go with the flow. For most of us that's not possible due to the remoteness of the start/finish and logistics involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment